Planning Application Submittal Process
Please review the steps carefully for a planning application submittal for projects that require a public hearing process. If you are proposing an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU), proceed to the Accessory Dwelling Unit webpage for submittal instructions.
If you have questions related to the planning application submission process, please email our Planning Division. For building permit related questions and ADU submittal, please email our Building Division.
Step A - Email the Planning Division
- Email the Planning Division and state the proposed type of planning application(s) in your email subject line. For example:
- Subject: Architectural Review Permit Planning Application Proposal
- In the body of the email, briefly describe the proposed project for the requested planning application, the applicant's contact information (phone number and email) and relationship to the property owner. For Example:
- Project Description: Proposed new building that is 5000 square feet in size.
- Applicant: John Smith at 650-123-4567, at phone number and email.
- Site Address: 567 El Camino Real, San Bruno
- Relationship to Property Owner: Architect/Design professional who is authorized to act on behalf of the property owner.
Step B - Receive Confirmation Email from a Planner
3. A planner will email the applicant to inform them of assignment to the project planner and the detailed application submittal requirements.
Step C - Preliminary Review Before Submittal
4. Please email a preliminary set of the project plans in one combined pdf file to the assigned planner for a cursory review. Submission requirements will be checked against the published application requirements and checklists. Please note: this step is NOT a formal submission of the proposed planning application but a preliminary review.
Step D - Finalize Application with Additional Materials & Payment
5. Once the application is verified by the assigned planner, the planner will inform the applicant of any additional materials that are needed. When all materials are received, the application can be finalized with the payment of any necessary fees. The applicant will receive instructions on how to complete the payment.
The 30-day City application review does not start until both the payment is received and all required application materials have been successfully submitted. Some planning applications are exempt from the 30-day review time period. Incomplete submittals will not be accepted.
Submittal of Revisions - Planning Application
For all active planning applications, please contact the assigned planner for details regarding the process for submittal of revisions. If there is question regarding who the assigned planner is, please email the Planning Division before the submittal of revisions to the City.
For general inquiries related to the City of San Bruno planning topics and issues, please email the Planning Division. Please include a subject line indicating "Planning General Inquiry". Please allow a few business days for someone to get back to you. Check the useful resources for planning related questions before sending a general inquiry.
Applications & Forms
- Appeal Application - 2023
- Density Bonus Supplemental Application (PDF)
- Planning Application Form - All Other Projects (PDF)
- Planning Application Checklist Residential Projects - 2023
- Planning Application Submission Requirements (PDF)
- Planning Division Fee Schedule_FY2023-24
- Property Owner Authorization Form (PDF)
- Public Noticing Requirements 2022
- SB35 Application (PDF)
- SB 330 Checklist Handout
- Sign Permit Application - 2023
- Special Event Permit Application
- Wireless Telecommunications Facility Regulation Handout (PDF)