Almost every construction project requires a permit. A Building permit is required for:
- Repairs, conversions, demolitions, changes in occupancy, additions and alterations.
- Plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and structural changes.
- Smaller projects such as roofs, sewer lines, and water heaters.
- Tenant improvements in commercial buildings for any proposed alterations or additions to the interior elements of an existing space which includes building components, electrical, mechanical and plumbing fixtures and equipment.
- Change in the permitted use ("Change in Use") or an increase in the permitted number of occupants ("Occupant Load") is proposed.
- Permanent and temporary signs.
If you're not sure whether you need a permit, contact the Building Division at 650-616-7074. Building is only one of the departments and/or agencies that may be involved in the approval process. Depending on the scope of your project, you may need approvals from other departments and agencies.